Tuesday, March 20, 2007

NL West Predictions 2007

The NL West has quietly become a pitching rich division. With such names as Barry Zito, Greg Maddux and the return of Randy Johnson and David Wells. Not to mention the young talent of Arizona's Brandon Webb and of course home town hero Jake Peavy, this could be one of MLB's most competitive division.

Without further wait here are my predictions for the 2007 NL West.

  1. San Diego Padres I know this pick might not carry the weight that it should being I'm a San Diego homer but I truly believe this team is more talented than last year and will three-peat as NL West Champs. Heck I'll even go out on a limb and predict they will win the division wire-to-wire. Strong offensive production from young hitters like "A-Gon" (Adrian Gonzalez, 1B) and a break out year from the "Crushin Russian" (Kevin Kouzmanoff, 3B) will put this team ahead of the pack while the deep bullpen and strong starting pitching will keep them there for the season. I anticipate better success this post season! Also look for Khalil Greene and Jake Peavy to improve from last year's mediocre performances.
  2. Los Angeles Dodgers This young team with veteran leadership from Nomar and Jeff Kent reminds me a lot of the Padres. The Dodgers stand to give the Padres the most competition this season in the division but like the last several years the Pads have the Dodgers number.
  3. Arizona Diamondbacks New look but same result. The Snakes and Randy Johnson reunite for a farewell tour but he is not the same pitcher as in 2001 when they were World Series Champs. Arizona will compete and find themselves near the top of the West for most of the season but they just don't have the talent yet to get them any higher than second place.
  4. Colorado Rockies Of all the picks thus far this might be the most risky one by putting the Rox ahead of the Gigantes. The Rockies have shown improvement these last few seasons and have a real chance of finishing above 500 this year. So does every team in this division though. The Purple Dinosaur will finally find its way out the cellar.
  5. San Francisco Giants Despite the off season signings of Barry Zito and Dave Roberts, which will prove to be unwise in years to come, the Giants will struggle to be competitive in the NL West. The former Padre skipper Bruce Bochy will have success in seasons to come but this first year at the helm will be a rough one. Giant fan will still celebrate the tainted record breaking homeruns of Barry as he takes the all time homerun record away from Hammering Hank Aaron. I only wish he does it away from the friendly confines of Phone Co. Park and is booed relentlessly has he circles the bases.
I'm sure my picks will be wildly criticized but only time will tell. If you have any predictions now is the time to lay them on me before the season starts. I believe it is going to be an entertaining one. Can't wait to take Ellen to the ballpark! Play Ball!

3 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger Martin's said...

The Crushin Riussian!!! Your right my friend, it's gonna be a fun season.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Jeff, Shino, Saya, and Meisa Neima said...

I concur. Padres finish 1st. However, the Rockies are looking better than predicted in spring training, and provided it carries over into the season, I'm thinking they'll finish 3rd. Then again, Helton, the money maker, could slack off again all year and cause the Rockies to go to 5th again.

Slacker!

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Mr. Tom said...

Your judgement is clouded, my friend. One too many pale ales. Take a step back and recognize.

Actually, I agree. Same as last year. Dodgers and Padres to the Playoffs. Who will finish first, who will finish 2nd? It will come down to the end, once again. I'd say 1/2 game. And the winner is............................ The Boys in Blue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home